Call for Projects 2020
SELAVIP is a private foundation that supports housing projects (new housing, land title regularization and water systems) for very poor urban families in the cities of Africa, Asia and Latin America. Our focus is on «extreme social emergency» faced by urban groups dwelling in precarious and unsafe conditions and places, or exposed to evictions. Many poor families cannot dream of accessing conventional housing programs, this is why SELAVIP wants to offer accessible alternatives to these persons. We would like to involve more communities, leaders, volunteers, professionals and institutions from the developing world in the search for realistic housing solutions for the poorest, in order to put these solutions into practice and be able to move on with bigger projects in the future. We hope to receive innovative proposals that tackle the critical housing problems and therefore being able to support the most daring projects that will allow to improve the quality of living of the poorest of the poor.
- To support households that are forced to live in overcrowded conditions, and where a full and healthy family life is simply not possible or where there is a constant risk of eviction.
- Contribute towards the improvement of urban living conditions to the poorest families living in Latin America, Asia and Africa.
- In general, projects that promote social development for the most vulnerable populations are highly valued. More specifically, it is sought to identify, evaluate and select projects and initiatives that help poor urban families have access to a better, and more secure housing situation, that look to provide communities with an adequate urban setting.
- Postulate said projects and initiatives to financial sources, at both national and international levels
- Establish agreements with international, national and local organisations in developing countries, in order to promote projects that help vulnerable communities and improve neighbourhoods and houses.
- Provide technical assistance to project and other initiatives favouring the promotion of the urban habitat of the poorest families in cities of developing countries.
- To follow up in technical and financial matters on projects and other initiatives that are in the field of housing and urban development both through on-site visits and internet correspondences.
- Collect resources from international, public and private organisms, to channel towards the development of urban and housing projects.
CRITÈRIA TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE APPLICATION
The organizations that are interested in obtaining funds from SELAVIP should consider the following selection criteria in the framework of their project’s presentation:
I. All non-profit and legally incorporated private and public institutions, Non Governmental Organizations (NGO’s), foundations, religious organizations may answer the call.
II. The organizations who want to take part to the projects call should be duly registered (and approved by SELAVIP) in our Registry of Organizations. The organizations may have access either by our WEB page (www.selavip.org) or by visiting the page application.selavip.org. Before creating a project, the organizations will be asked to revise their information in our Registry of Organizations and update them.
III. All the projects should propose initiatives that meet housing needs from urban families in the developing countries, from housing production or slum improvement, to promotion of community based processes to secure shelter.
IV. If a project centres on housing production or building, it should, if possible, explore new and realistic strategies.
V. Housing production or building should, if possible, also include activities to favour “communitydriven” urban and housing processes. The project should also allow the promotion of innovative policies based on the experiences previously acquired.
VI. It is important to consider the participation of the beneficiaries in nearly all the project process.
VII. All the projects should be presented online through our WEB page (www.selavip.org) or accessing directly application.selavip.org. In case of technical problem during the application online, the organizations should contact SELAVIP by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
VIII. Only the projects to be executed in Asia, Africa, and Latin America will be considered.
IX. The contribution from SELAVIP is free for the beneficiaries and must be used solely for the selected project. For those projects who will be selected, we will require a document to be signed by each family (beneficiary of the project) in which each family confirms its active participation to the project and acknowledging that the SELAVIP’s contribution is free for them, meaning they may not be asked any reimbursement or refund.
X. At least 90% of the financial resources provided by SELAVIP should be used for the purchase of materials. In the case of land titles regularization, the resources will be used for the preparation and submission of the paperwork to the local authorities.
XI. The maximum amount granted by project is USD 72,000. SELAVIP reserves the right to decrease the requested amount during the project’s presentation and the number of solutions.
XII. The funds that SELAVIP will provide BY FAMILY are the following, according to the type of selected project:
- The cost to be financed for each new house will be maximum USD 1,200 (if the house comes with a toilet, the amount doesn’t vary, it is still USD 1,200, NOT USD 1,200 plus USD 600).
- Maximum USD 800 to substantially improve or extend a makeshift home
- Drinking water systems : maximum USD 800.
- Sewage systems : maximum USD 600.
- Toilets or latrines : maximum USD 600.
- Repairs : only roof repairs will be considered, the maximum amount will be USD 600.
- Land title regularization:the amount considered by SELAVIP will depend upon the average of the presented projects and executed ones during the previous years.
It is also possible to present other proposals that consolidate urban processes or promote the participation from the community. We also await from the proposals (apart of promoting housing policies) that they could lead to clear and measurable results in terms of housing and/or urban services.
Priority will be given to initiatives that help the poor access land and secure basic shelter rather than tothose seeking to improve shelter that has already reached some physical or legal status.
Please note that SELAVIP doesn’t support infrastructure projects (like hospitals, schools, etc.) or income generation projects.
We invite the organizations and local communities to send their projects from May 1 to June 30, 2019 (included).
All the projects proposals received during the indicated application period will be evaluated according to qualitative and quantitative criteria by a team of professionals who will then determine if a project is eligible or not. This evaluation process will last from July to September.
The number of proposals we receive usually exceed those we can finance, SELAVIP will therefore select the projects that best meet the objectives and goals of the foundation. This process will take place in October.
The final selection is realized by the Board of Directors in Belgium. The quantity of selected projects is adjusted to the available budget. This last step in the selection process will occur in November.
It is important to take into account that some initiatives will only be financed partially, it will therefore involve an adjustment to the initial project’s proposal. It will then be discussed with the organization.
Finally, the approved projects will be informed at the end of November/beginning of December 2019.
- Through our WEB page: www.selavip.org
- In the SELAVIP’s projects management system: each NGO whose project has been selected will be notified.
- Maximum amount per Project is USD $72,000
- Maximum amount for a new house is USD 1,200; USD 800 for substantial improvement of existing shelter.
- SELAVIP does not finance operational costs of projects.
- The projects should be finished before September 15, 2020
- Any extra documents like pictures, plans and any other technical documents should be attached in the project management system.
- Only applications sent through the online application system will be reviewed and considered for funding
For your reference you can download the postulation and NGO registration: