Building of 50 new dwellings in DR of the Congo
Country: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Population: 105 million people (July 2021 Estimate)
Languages: French (official), Kikongo, Lingala, Kingwana, Tshiluba
Currency: Congolese franc (USD 1 is equivalent to 2,006 Congolese francs)
Government system: semi-presidential republic
Borders: it shares borders with Uganda, Republic of the Congo, Ruanda, Zambia, South-Sudan, Central African Republic, Angola, Burundi and Tanzania
Area: 2.344.858 km2
Percentage of people living in urban areas: 54.362 %
Yearly inflation: 11,36% (2020)
Unemployment rate: 5,3 % (2020)
GDP Per Capita: 1,100 USD (2020)
Approx. minimum monthly salary: US 25.12
HDI (Human Development Index): 0,480 (2019)
% of population living under poverty line: 73% (2018)
SELECTED PROJECT OF THE REGISTERES NGO
- ID: 1737 / ONG: Grandissons Ensemble / Year: 2022
- ID: 588 / ONG: Grandissons Ensemble / Year: 2019
- ID: 123 / ONG: Grandissons Ensemble / Year: 2018
SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
The specific objectives of the project (implemented in the Municipality of Limette (Kinshasa), were:
- Procure a decent dwelling for 50 vulnerable families of the Kingabwa’s neighbourhood.
- Protect 50 families against the elements and natural calamities
- Save dignity and sanity for 50 families.
The ground being swampy (and/or full of garbage), the organization had to place footings to raise the foundation’s level and lay stringers to prevent humidity and flooding. The following materials were used during the project: cement, stones, wood, sheets, iron bars, annealing wire, sand, water, nails.
The families participated in the project
- Upstream, in terms of reflection on their situation and possible solutions;
- During the project: in the preparation of the site, community savings to build up additional funds, in supplying some materials and food ration, in providing labour for the masons; they also ensured the safety of the materials made available to them for the smooth running of the project.
The local authorities also made their contribution by facilitating the administrative procedures with regard to the execution site and by ensuring the safety of the families and their property.
The impacts of the project were:
- The housing conditions of the 50 families supported have significantly improved, as well as the health of the children.
- During the process, the families integrated the dimension of community savings and will be able to continue in this line for future projects. The families as well as the other members of the community have understood, thanks to this experience, that they can improve their housing conditions from community savings. The project has been a boost for the families.
- This experience has generated a certain solidarity between the members of the community who have mobilized to ensure that the project arrives successfully.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT
SELAVIP's contribution: USD 55.000
Other contributions: USD 15.750
Total cost of the project: USD 70.750
GOALS OF SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN THE FRAMEWORK OF THIS PROJECT
- Goal 1: End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal 3: Promote wellness at all ages